Friday 23 March 2007

First blog

I suppose I should start with a bit about me. By education, I'm a mathematician and an MBA. By profession, I'm an IT Manager for a medium sized American multinational. I'm also a husband and new father. I live in North London and work in the City and have to commute on the Northern Line most days - anyone who understands that experience will pity me.

Why am I doing this? Well, mainly because I'd like to do some writing that isn't work based and is about things that interest me. I find myself commenting quite a lot on the BBC boards, so I thought I'd try to do something more constructive and, hopefully, more coherent. I would also like to broaden the network of people that I know particularly in the technology and business arena and hope that this might become a forum for that.

What do I plan to write about? Initially, it will be a mix of the issues of the day - politics, economics, sport, - technology, work, babies, TV and whatever takes my fancy but as I get more competent at what I'm doing that may change.

To start with I would like to offer my condolences to the family of Bob Woolmer, the Pakistan cricket coach and ex-England cricketer, who was, shockingly, murdered last weekend. It frankly beggars belief that someone would do this in what is supposed to be a gentlemen's game. The possibility that this relates to gambling syndicates and thrown games - the two Pakistan losses in this World Cup look suspicious now - casts a long shadow over the competition and we have five more weeks of it for this story to germinate. Let's just hope the killer(s) are identified and caught soon.

No comments: